WHEN WATER IS POURED DOWN A SHIFT CONSOLE, DOES IT LEAVE THE CAR OR IS IT STUCK PERMANENTLY?

2003 Nissan Altima

Khiemcar

August, 28, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

Accidentally poured soda and water down the shift console twice. Shift gear started to have problems moving ever since. The thing is that it doesn't stop shifting completely. Sometimes it still moves, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes even when the engine is off the shift still moves. Wondering what impact did the liquid produce regarding this problem.

August, 28, 2012 AT 3:23 AM

Very sticky stuff.

You need to have the console removed and the items cleaned of all the liquid

Khiemcar

August, 28, 2012 AT 3:46 AM

So you reckon the liquid doesn't have a way out but is still stuck in there? I've left it untouched for a while now, do you think removing the console + cleaning it is still a possible solution?

August, 28, 2012 AT 6:19 AM

You might need to change the interlock solenoid if cleaning does not help. Seems it is sticking resulting in you being able to move the lever out of park without engine running and depressing the brakes.

Khiemcar

August, 28, 2012 AT 6:42 AM

Thank you for your advice. How much do you think it will cost when it comes to replacing the shift interlock solenoid? Also I'm still wondering as to whether the liquid has managed to find a path to exit the car (i.E the shift box is cut straight through the liquid down to the ground), or is it still stuck there? Finding an answer to this question is important as I've left the shift untouched during the past 2.5 months and I'm just worried that this may be causing further damages to th engine/transmission. Any inputs on this would be greatly appreciated!

Khiemcar

August, 28, 2012 AT 6:44 AM

Sorry I was meant to say 'the shift box is cut straight through and thus allows a path for the liquid to run down to the ground'

August, 28, 2012 AT 6:46 AM

The fluid would not have a chance to go out. After 2.5 months, they would have dried up so nothing to be worried about. It is not going to affect the transmission etc but ensure all electrical connectors and components are cleaned up.

I am not sure of the cost of the solenoid but it should not be too expensive.

Khiemcar

August, 28, 2012 AT 7:17 AM

Again, thank you for your thoughtful advice. I hope the liquid will have dried up by now as you said. The only way to find out I guess is to take it to a good auto shop for a check up. Just one quick question: within the shift box itself, apart from the solenoid, is there anything else that could have been affected by the liquid? (I.E electrical wires, connectors, boards, circuits etc.)

August, 28, 2012 AT 7:32 AM

Further to rear of console is the Air-Bag Diagnosis Sensor.
Beneath the gear selector lever is the A/T device.

As long as fluids don't get inside them it is ok.

Khiemcar

August, 28, 2012 AT 7:43 AM

And what are the chances of them getting inside these areas? What will the consequences be?

August, 28, 2012 AT 8:44 AM

Liquid spilled over them should not be a problem as they are considered water tight, except under pressure, ie submerging them would have a problem. The A/T sensor would cause eratic gear shiftings with dash indicators maybe showing errors. As to the Air-Bag sensor, it would trigger the air-bag code or reault in the air-bag indicator not showing.

You need not worry about them if there are no irregular issues.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Open Hood Video
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic