THIS CAR HAS AN INTERMITTENT MISFIRE

2003 Nissan Altima

mechanicanman

October, 27, 2012 AT 3:32 PM

This car has an intermittent misfire. When I checked the code it was cyl #1. I moved the spark plug to cyl #2 and the coil to cyl #3. Reset light and drove car for two days. Now cyl #4 has the intermittent misfire! Also the light blinks on and off when driving but the light goes out at traffic lights!(Still misfiring at idle though) any ideas? The spark plugs look great and are the correct type ngk part # for the engine. Thank you in advance. Gary

October, 27, 2012 AT 3:58 PM

Check the wireharness and connections at the coil packs. Working around the area could have caused poor contacts of connectors causing the intermittent misfiring.

mechanicanman

October, 27, 2012 AT 11:05 PM

As I stated thr car had this problem long before I touched the coil packs. They are plugged in correctly and all the contacts are in their proper place. Any technical update to this problem would be appreciated.

October, 28, 2012 AT 7:44 AM

You hade a misfire on cylinder # 1 before you worked on it. Now the misfire is in cylinder # 4 which means a different problem from previous as stated.
Coil packs, fuel injectors, air intake vacuum leaks, clogged exhaust, fuel pressure, MAF and O2 sensors are possible causes of engine misfires.

rivermikerat

October, 31, 2012 AT 11:31 PM

Also check for condensation and corrosion in the connectors.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma