I THINK I GOT SCREWED OUT OF A ENGINE AND NEED HELP FINDING OUT HOW TO FIGURE OUT ENGINE VIN???

2003 Nissan Altima

Zoie08

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:34 AM

We have a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5, and while we were on vacation somehow the oil sending unit went out. So while driving home I had to stop every so many and check the oil, and I was fixing to pull over and I got to the bottom of the exit ramp and oil light came on, so I proceeded to gas station and whil pulling in it jerk a little. I checked the oil and it was out I filled it back up and it drove another 100 miles home, acted funny but made it. So my wife's uncle is a "mechanic" and he said we needed an engine so we replaced. Six months later it died on side of the road, I jumped it off and it started right up. But wouldn't stay charged so I had the alternator checked it was bad so replaced that and he hooked it up to the computer and said my crank position sensor was bad so I charged the battery and drove another 10 miles to my dads garage to change sensor and alternator. I changed the alternator and while changing the sensor 2 of the 3 wires coming from the wiring harness which goes to plug that hooks to the sensor, was ripped (I might had done it taking it off) so I got that plug and piece of wiring harness off the exact model car from junkyard. I wired it all back up and engine would not start. So I gave up and took it to the uncle again and he says we got the motor to hot somehow and we need another motor. I just don't see how the motor is messed up cause when I drove it in the garage the motor was running fine. So I guess my question is first off if in fact the motor is bad maybe he didn't change it the first time and I'm trying to fig out how the get the stick engine number to check the block to see if it wasn't even changed out the first time. And at the same time I still don't she how the motor is gone if I drove it in the garage and just changed the alternator and messed with that sensor. I just am a bad situation and don't know what to do. Would really appreciate any help thanks.

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:42 AM

First thing yo uneed to do is to locate the engine serial number and compare it to the original to see if it had been replaced.

Second thing is why do you need to replace the engine? Apart from non starting, what other issues do you have? Oil level and radiator coolaont level good?

Able to crank the engine easilty?
Did you check for trouble codes?

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:42 AM

Picture location of engine serial number.

Zoie08

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:50 AM

How do I go about getting the original serial #. We tried to call our local Nissan dealership and he said that since it's a 2003 it's to old to pull the record of it, he was also trying to sell a car I think. No the only issue was it died that one day, and I would have to recharge the battery to get it places cause it wasn't running off the alternator, I guess it was just running off the battery. So I changed the alternator and the autozone guy said I needed that sensor so I changed that and messed the wire up. But no besides thy everything was good. Thanks

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:55 AM

Do you have the vehicle log? It should be stated there.

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:57 AM

This uncle of yours seems to be a changineer, anything wrong change engine. I would get a second opinion.

Zoie08

September, 7, 2012 AT 6:32 AM

Honestly I might sound stupid but I don't know what a vehicle log is to be honest.

September, 7, 2012 AT 7:20 AM

The vehicle documentations. It would have one that has all the vehicle particulars.

Zoie08

September, 7, 2012 AT 8:06 PM

We bought the car used I rweally don't think we got one with is there another to figure it out? Thanks

September, 7, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

I am not sure how it goes over there but where I am located, any vehicle sales must come with documentations to prove ownership and engine change needs to have the new number endorsed by the transport department.

September, 8, 2012 AT 11:26 AM

Sounds like your uncle shot from the hip with this one.

Did you double check your wiring to verify you installed the wires in the right location?

If it ran after you had the motor replaced and up till now, you should assume the work was done. Proving it was never changes is difficult as you need the serial number to verify the motor that came with it and if they dont match, then it was changed. After that, you still need to get it running.

Start with basics here, fuel pressure, spark and compression. Work with this to get it running, then go after the other issue.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang