SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID HAS BEEN HEAVILY DAMAGED

2003 Nissan Altima

Khiemcar

August, 29, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

Dear Tony, My name is Kyle Nguyen. I currently own a 2003 Nissan Altima which I've been using for about 6 months or so.

Poured some fluid down my car's shift box by accident. Seems like the shift interlock solenoid has been heavily damaged. Was wondering how much it would cost on average to replace it with a new one (including labor). Would replacing it with a whole new shift box be a better idea, cause it seems relatively difficult to find a Nissan shift interlock solenoid in the market.

Shift Lock

Shift Lock

August, 29, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

I know we talked before, but I would investigate getting a used assembly from a junkyard. The cost would be 1/3 a new unit.

The labor is 2 hours and the part is around 100-150.

Make sure of no more spills.

Khiemcar

August, 29, 2012 AT 11:35 AM

Thank you Roy. Do you know whether the replacement of the shift interlock solenoid requires the removal of the transmission first?

August, 29, 2012 AT 12:59 PM

No as it is in the console area, not under the car or hood

August, 29, 2012 AT 1:48 PM

You have not removed the part to inspect so why don't you check it first. The solenoid might work after some cleaning up.

Khiemcar

August, 29, 2012 AT 3:17 PM

I certainly will have a quick inspection to find out the real cause of the problem. It's just that I believe the problem may require far more work than just cleaning up, as the volume of the spilt liquid was relatively big, and also because I have left the car untouched during the past 2.5 months.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear