SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID HAS BEEN HEAVILY DAMAGED

• Khiemcar
  • 2003 Nissan Altima

Dear Tony, My name is Kyle Nguyen. I currently own a 2003 Nissan Altima which I've been using for about 6 months or so.

Poured some fluid down my car's shift box by accident. Seems like the shift interlock solenoid has been heavily damaged. Was wondering how much it would cost on average to replace it with a new one (including labor). Would replacing it with a whole new shift box be a better idea, cause it seems relatively difficult to find a Nissan shift interlock solenoid in the market.

Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

• ASEMaster6371

I know we talked before, but I would investigate getting a used assembly from a junkyard. The cost would be 1/3 a new unit.

The labor is 2 hours and the part is around 100-150.

Make sure of no more spills.

Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 AT 2:17 AM
  • Khiemcar

Thank you Roy. Do you know whether the replacement of the shift interlock solenoid requires the removal of the transmission first?

Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 AT 11:35 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

No as it is in the console area, not under the car or hood

Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 AT 12:59 PM
  • KHLow2008

You have not removed the part to inspect so why don't you check it first. The solenoid might work after some cleaning up.

Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 AT 1:48 PM
  • Khiemcar

I certainly will have a quick inspection to find out the real cause of the problem. It's just that I believe the problem may require far more work than just cleaning up, as the volume of the spilt liquid was relatively big, and also because I have left the car untouched during the past 2.5 months.

Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 AT 3:17 PM