WHEELS BLOCKED IN ALMERA

• djana
  • 2003 Nissan Almera
  • manual

Almera 2003 was left not used for some 2 weeks on handbreak cause the battery went dead. After I have changed the battery, engine starts as normal, but the wheels seem to be blocked and I can't move them. I have checked the wheels but can't see anything, though it looks/feels like its only one of the wheels (rear) can't move. Any suggestions?

Saturday, February 26th, 2011 AT 3:29 PM

• billymac

You can raise the wheel that is locked open the bleeder on the brake and work wheel back and forth until it releases then retighten bleeder should be ok then

Saturday, February 26th, 2011 AT 8:36 PM
  • djana

What could cause it? Will the problem come back?

Saturday, February 26th, 2011 AT 8:39 PM
  • billymac

This is normal if a car has the park brake engaged for a prolonged period the brake just sticks. May happen if you leave the park brake set for a long time. Anything that is not used is subject toseize. Best thing to do is not set brake when car is stored or periodically release brake.

Saturday, February 26th, 2011 AT 9:08 PM
  • djana

This wheel can move a little bit, I can move it but within very limited motion.
After rising the wheel I tried if I can move it, It felt like the car is in the first gear, so I don't think it's the break, it feels like the problem is mechanical. I will try what you suggested tommorow.
PS. I didn't know you can bleed handbrake, thought it was only footbrake

Sunday, February 27th, 2011 AT 1:09 AM
  • billymac

Lol good point. Most newer cars have rear disc brakes and a shoe inside the rotor however if it is rear drums then it will be operated by a cable. If I am understanding your question. Your rear wheel will not turn? And do you have disc brakes on the wheel that will not turn?

Sunday, February 27th, 2011 AT 1:55 AM
  • djana

Unfortunately it's pouring down today so I cannot look at the car. I think that its not disk brake but drum brake, the wheel will move a tiny bit back and forth when pushed.

Sunday, February 27th, 2011 AT 11:17 AM
  • billymac

Ok well if drum brake cracking the bleeder will release it. If it don't then something inside hub has come loose

Sunday, February 27th, 2011 AT 9:24 PM