ELECTRICAL MYSTERY

2003 Mitsubishi Magna

harleyd

July, 19, 2012 AT 1:22 AM

Hi, the ANTI LOCK and battery light come on at the same time-the radio goes off as well as the park lights. The headlights stay on, the engine seems unaffected. This happens for a few seconds, quite randomly. I have cleaned and checked terminals and looked for loose wires.

Please help as I am unsure if it will conk out with my family in it. I am a qualified mechanic with good knowledge of electrics (or so I thought)

Thank you!

saturntech9

July, 19, 2012 AT 3:44 AM

When the battery light comes what is the voltage read at the battery?We need to see if the problem is effecting the charging system or just the battery light?They make a cig volt meter inova makes one.

harleyd

July, 19, 2012 AT 3:50 AM

So if I plug the volt meter in I could glance down at it and see if the voltage drops at the same time as the issue happens? Is that what you mean?

Thank you : )

saturntech9

July, 19, 2012 AT 5:27 AM

Yes that could narrow the problem down a little.I have seen failing alternators take the radio out and the engine still runs.

harleyd

July, 19, 2012 AT 5:41 AM

Could you explain how that is possible please? In my head it doesn't make sense but you are the second person to suggest alternator problems.

Thank you for your help: )

saturntech9

July, 19, 2012 AT 6:09 AM

The battery light usually comes on when the voltage drops bellow the voltage value programed into the computer. When you get a voltage drop it wont effect the whole electricial system evenly so something can shut down while others stay on.I have seen it many times before where the computer operated transmissions are slipping in and out of gear the engine is still running fine radio goes etc from failing alternators unstable voltage etc.

harleyd

July, 22, 2012 AT 10:26 PM

Ah, so it is because it has a computer controlling the electrical supply to various components.

Thank you.

saturntech9

July, 23, 2012 AT 8:42 PM

Some of it like the engine computer transmission computeretc. But not all of the electrical system.

harleyd

July, 23, 2012 AT 10:27 PM

Ok, thanks saturntech9, I appreciate your help.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 2:02 AM

No problem thats what were here for.

harleyd

August, 30, 2012 AT 8:11 AM

Hi, I still haven't found the problem with the car, and now the HANDBRAKE light comes on with the other lights!

Any ideas please?

Thank you.

Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon
Headlight Lens/Housing Replacement Mini