WHEN I DRIVE 30MPH OR ABOVE THERE IS A HUMMING NOISE

2003 Mini Cooper

CooperK

April, 15, 2012 AT 10:51 AM

Hi I have a 2003 mini cooper I don't know where from as it only happens when I drive. What could be the problem. I don't know if the noise can be heard on the outside but I can on the inside. I'm scred to drive it as I don't know I'd it's bad

April, 15, 2012 AT 11:54 AM

Most likely a hub bearing making noise. Get it to a shop to identify the wheel that is making the noise.

djcl

April, 15, 2012 AT 12:02 PM

A bad wheel bearing or tire will do this. To check it you will need to jack up the wheels. The drive wheels must both be off the ground run the car I'd drive and have some one @ each front wheel. Dsee where the noise is @. Feel the tires it see if thay are cupping

CooperK

April, 15, 2012 AT 10:56 PM

Thanks will get it checked

mhpautos

April, 16, 2012 AT 12:49 PM

There should be no movement in the bearing, if really bay you will hear it by spinning the wheel by hand, you should easly hear a bad bearing while cornering, this will load up a bearing, just be cautious if you drive on stands, this is not really advisable for safety reasons.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma