WHEN I DRIVE 30MPH OR ABOVE THERE IS A HUMMING NOISE

• CooperK
  • 2003 Mini Cooper

Hi I have a 2003 mini cooper I don't know where from as it only happens when I drive. What could be the problem. I don't know if the noise can be heard on the outside but I can on the inside. I'm scred to drive it as I don't know I'd it's bad

Sunday, April 15th, 2012 AT 10:51 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Most likely a hub bearing making noise. Get it to a shop to identify the wheel that is making the noise.

Sunday, April 15th, 2012 AT 11:54 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

A bad wheel bearing or tire will do this. To check it you will need to jack up the wheels. The drive wheels must both be off the ground run the car I'd drive and have some one @ each front wheel. Dsee where the noise is @. Feel the tires it see if thay are cupping

Sunday, April 15th, 2012 AT 12:02 PM
  • CooperK

Thanks will get it checked

Sunday, April 15th, 2012 AT 10:56 PM
  • mhpautos

There should be no movement in the bearing, if really bay you will hear it by spinning the wheel by hand, you should easly hear a bad bearing while cornering, this will load up a bearing, just be cautious if you drive on stands, this is not really advisable for safety reasons.

Monday, April 16th, 2012 AT 12:49 PM