2003 Mazda Tribute Brake Problems

JULINET
  • 2003 MAZDA TRIBUTE
Serviced my Mazda Tribute 2003 for many months with more than 4 different mechanics and brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. Mechanics replaced pads, master cylinder, caliper, hose, etc. Bled system repeatedly; after a few days, brakes get soft again. They say air gets in brake line; however, can't find the cause of the problem. I have drums in the back and a diagonal system, air getting in driver's side and back passenger right side. I AM BEGGING FOR HELP!
Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 5:19 PM

If you are getting air into the system, then fluid needs to be leaking out. Are you sure there are no leaks on the rear wheel cylinders? Have you checked all steel brake lines for rust or bad connections?
+3
Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 5:32 PM
JULINET
Hi! It actually feels great to have seen a response. No leaks, that's the first thing they checked for; they also checked all of the issues/possibilities that you mentioned. Brakes are good, they checked the tires, cylinders too.
+1
Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 6:19 PM
There has to be a leak. The brakes are a sealed system. For air to enter, there has to be a leak. They are missing something. When they bleed the brakes, do they start from the right rear tire and work their way to the closest wheel to the MC?
Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 6:21 PM
JULINET
Hi. Sorry for the delay. I brought it back to the Mazda dealer and printed your suggestions, the mechanic read them all and was very appreciative and checked everything including the wheel cylinders and I believe he bled the system using your instructions. To make long story short, he ended up calling the Mazda guys in California and was instructed to perform a full system brake fluid bleed and to also perform an IDS ABS Service Bleed. IDS activates all ABS solenoids in the hydraulic control unit (HCU). The specialist advised that the problem is most likely in the HCU; if problem reoccurs- HUC leaks internally and causes air in the system.
Meaning I would have to replace the Hydraulic Control Unit. They said that they had the same problem before and their solution was to replace this unit and even the Ford guys use the same system and this resolved their problem as well.

I am very happy with your responses so I wanna know your opinion about this one. Thanks so so much for your honest, quick and helpful responses.

Julynet
+4
Friday, October 4th, 2013 AT 5:52 PM
Hi:
I'm glad to help. As far as their recommendations, I would suggest you have them bleed the entire system. If the air gets into the system again, then the HCU is most likely the cause.

Let me know how things work out for you.

+1
Friday, October 4th, 2013 AT 6:07 PM