LOUD SQUEALING AND EXCESSIVE COOLANT PRESSURE

2003 Mazda Protege

rlc3isme

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:23 AM

Starts after much effort, runs rough and at high rpms, then dies. The squealing sound is coming from the throttle body area (not specifically the throttle body). I just replaced the head gasket, head bolts, and all gaskets nessesary when reassembling.

Deck and head surfaces were withing flatness specifications. Timing was reset to factory. Ignition is a little weak but sufficient and fuel delivery is good. This problem completely baffles me and is disappointing with the experience I have and a run performance certification. I know its difficult to diagnosis without seeing the car, but all help is appreciated.

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:32 AM

First you need to do is to locate the source of the noise. Throttle body can only be air noise which would squeal if an air passage has a leak or there are restrictions to it.

Ensure the cooling system has been bled of air trapped in system and if the high pressure continues, it would mean the head job has a problem somewhere.

If the reason for replacing the head gasket was due to overheating, the head seems to be the one at fault, or at least it is related to it.

Were the valve clearances checked/adjusted?

rlc3isme

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:55 AM

Thank you for the quick response. The original problem was coolant leakage into cylinder but once it warms up it went away. Also cylinder to cylinder leakage. Valve clearances and actuation was fine when the head was off. Definitely did not check for the air in the coolant system, too busy over thinking everything I guess. Now that I think about it the throttle body gasket had slits covering (maybe) vacuum passages.

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:03 AM

Ok, go through them and see what you come up with.

rlc3isme

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:05 AM

Coolant reservoir hose is completely clogged.

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:24 AM

That can cause the high pressure. Excessive air noise can be due to high idling speed due to the IAC opened too much caused by coolant faults.

rlc3isme

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

Ok unclogged the reservoir hose. Fixed the problem but need a new radiator cap I had to put it on half way to allow it to flow to reservoir, because it is stuck closed. The car is still dying and throwing a code for the MAF and o2 sensors.

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:48 AM

Check for vacuum leakages between throttle body and MAF. Seems the squealing noise has something to do with it.

rlc3isme

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:52 AM

Alright. Thank you for all of your help!

September, 7, 2012 AT 3:00 AM

You're welcome.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i