CAR BROKE DOWN ON HIGHWAY

2003 Mazda Protege

Anonymous

November, 10, 2012 AT 1:49 PM

Car broke down on highway. Engine light came on. Told by tow truck driver that alternator belt broke and burned out alternator. Now told engine burned out need new engine, Can this happen so fast.

mekanic4755

November, 10, 2012 AT 2:29 PM

Need a little more information on your problem. Was the car running hot? Usually if the alternator belt brakes, the charging light or battery light will come on, the engine will run till the battery goes dead and then dies and won't start unless the battery is charged. Unless the same belt runs the water pump in this case it might have overheated causing severe engine damage, in any case you need to get a second opinion from another shop, sounds like some one may be trying sell you something you may not need. Thanks for using 2CarPros

Wrenchtech

November, 10, 2012 AT 2:30 PM

It certainly can. When you lost the belt, you also lost the water pump and apparently you may not have seen the temp gauge rise.

November, 10, 2012 AT 2:33 PM

He's trying to pull a fast one on you get a second opinion-all that over a broken alternator belt to burn out an engine I don' think so-

Wrenchtech

November, 10, 2012 AT 2:36 PM

The belt also runs the water pump on this one Ras.

November, 10, 2012 AT 2:39 PM

Wrench-is it an alternator belt or it comes with a serpentine belt I can see the latter part-didn' see anybody not till I answered it-Sorry going on top of you.

November, 10, 2012 AT 2:41 PM

Thank You -Wrench, you have a great day and Happy Veteran's Day

Wrenchtech

November, 10, 2012 AT 2:48 PM

No problem Ras. I wasn't first. Have a good day.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Air Filter Replacement Acura TL
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota