LOCKED CAR

2003 Lexus GX 470

eshuby

November, 28, 2010 AT 5:18 AM

I have a Lexus 2003 GX470 and all of a sudden I went to open the door with my key and it will not go in. It acts like there is part of it in the lock but my key is not broke. I dont have a remote to open the door but I have not had any problems before. Please Help.

Heater Door Won't Open

Rear Door Will Not Open

Jacobandnickolas

November, 28, 2010 AT 5:22 AM

It sounds like the tumbler has gone bad or may have frozen. Do you live in a cold climate?

eshuby

November, 28, 2010 AT 5:27 AM

Yes it is 27 degrees right now what is a tumbler?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 28, 2010 AT 7:13 AM

The tumbler is the part that the key goes into. It is made to turn only when the correct key is used.

Just for the heck of it, try running a hair dryer on it to see if something has frozen. They even make a product just for frozen tumblers.

Try that and let me know if it helps. If not, then we need to think about replacing the tumbler.

eshuby

November, 28, 2010 AT 1:05 PM

Thanks I will try and let you know I had to leave it somewhere and get a ride so I will let you know.
Thanks so much,
Elaine

eshuby

November, 29, 2010 AT 5:47 PM

Thanks so much Joe you were right it was frozen.
Blessings,
Elaine

Jacobandnickolas

November, 29, 2010 AT 11:42 PM

Elaine,
Great! That was an easy fix. If you go to the parts store, they make a product that you can spray into frozen door tumblers. I would say keep it in the car, but if you have luck like me, it will be in the car when the locks freeze in the lock position. (Lol) Maybe put it in your coat pocket.

Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Keep Warm!

Window Switch Replacement and Test
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda