2003 Kia Sorento Misfire cylinder 5

TFARR8692
  • 2003 KIA SORENTO
Timing jumped because tensioner was not replaced. When it jumped there was rattling noise was coming from top of the engine. Check engine light came on. Took it to a different shop they saw the timing was off on both sides. They set the timing replaced tensioner and now I'm left with a misfire in cylinder number 5. They did a compression check and that was fine. Moved the wires around to see if the misfire would move but it stayed in cylinder number 5.
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 2:11 PM

MLDANIELS2000
Either bad spark plug or bad coil.
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 4:30 PM
TFARR8692
The coil has a crack in it so they moved it around to see if they can get the misfire to move from cylinder number 5 but the misfire remained. If it was the coil wouldn't it be misfiring in two cylinders instead of one? I'm so afraid of possible valve or head damage due to the timing jumping. Could this be?
-2
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 5:02 PM
MLDANIELS2000
Possible but you said the compression was ok. How did the compression compare to the rest of the cylinders?
+1
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 6:27 PM
TFARR8692
They did a compression check and as far as I know everything was ok
-1
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 7:15 PM
MLDANIELS2000
Pull the spark plug and compare gap to nearest cylinder.
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 6:46 PM
TFARR8692
How would I know if I have bent valves?
-1
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 7:02 PM
MLDANIELS2000
Usually by compression test. If any are bent then the valve won't seat fully. Therefore low compression. Did they do a cylinder leak down test? Checks for compression loss over a period of time. Nest best way to check is an inspection camera. You can also see the piston heads as well that way.
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 7:14 PM
TFARR8692
If a dry compression check was done and I had compression do I have to do the leak down test as well because that is pretty expensive.
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 7:48 PM
TFARR8692
The mechanic said he ran some type of test with a gauge and said the needle was bouncing around which wasn't a good sign. What kind of test was he talking about?
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 7:51 PM
MLDANIELS2000
Sounds like a regular compression test. It is very possible that it did bend a valve if the needle bounced around. Bent valves is usually a final conclusion for your kind of problem. Usually have to rule all other possibilities out which you have done with the ignition system. Kia and Hyundai's all have interference engines which basically means that piston and valve can contact each other if a timing issue where to occur such as a broken timing belt. Timing belts usually only last 100, 00 miles. At this point you may want to remove heads to verify.
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 10:38 AM
TFARR8692
The guy that cracked my valves says he can fix the valves on the top without the bottom going out. Is this true? Would you recommend fixing the valves or replacing the motor?
Monday, February 3rd, 2014 AT 7:58 PM
MLDANIELS2000
Did he see the valves? Did he check the pistons?
Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 AT 9:37 AM
MLDANIELS2000
Also demand to take a look at what he sees also.
Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 AT 9:38 AM
TFARR8692
My girl friend has a 2001 Impala 3.8 engine. She had the EGR changed and thermostat and it sounds like the hazard lights are on. It's been weeks now like this. Is something wrong with the EGR?
Monday, February 24th, 2014 AT 6:51 PM
MLDANIELS2000
I am sorry but I don't understand the issue. When you say hazard lights I think of the 4-way flashers. These have no relation to engine controls. Please clarify.
Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 7:43 PM