CLUNKING IN REAR AND BURNING SMELL

2003 Jeep Liberty

Mark Millron

July, 1, 2012 AT 4:40 PM

Had rear axle seal replaced. New fluid, and now I have clunking in rear and burning smell what could it be sound in the rear, emergency brake not working, and a burning smell. What could it be?

July, 1, 2012 AT 4:50 PM

Did you replace the bearingas well?It is the reason for the seal failure. The e brake shoes may be hung up in the rotor. I assume you replaced them as well?

Mark Millron

July, 1, 2012 AT 5:10 PM

I also had two metal pieces I found in the pumpkin they were kind of shaped similar to almost. Not exactly. Don't know what they could be. Someone told me they were shims for the rear gear box. No, I didn't replace the bearings. The e -brake doesn't seem to be hung up. I did't have the clunking noise until after I replaced the axle seal.

July, 1, 2012 AT 5:17 PM

They are shims for the spider gears and must be returned to ther positions. This amy be the clunking as the clearances are not correct in the rear
re check your work. Did you replace the e brake shoes?

Mark Millron

July, 1, 2012 AT 5:29 PM

Thanks for the info on the shims for the spider gears. No, didn't replace the e brake shoes. Could that be a problem?

Mark Millron

July, 1, 2012 AT 5:58 PM

Picture of the parts found in the pumpkin

July, 1, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

Were there springs inside the carieer?

Mark Millron

July, 1, 2012 AT 8:36 PM

No springs

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe