HEAT SHIELD AND ACCELERATING PROBLEM

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

Terri0522

March, 10, 2011 AT 9:29 PM

Two unrelated questions:

1) I was told the heat shield covering my drive shaft was completely rusted out and was removed (yes, I was having noise issues). I was told it is not really necessary to replace and would cost in excess of $900.00. Is it true it is not necessary?

2) Only two times in the last two weeks, I have had issues with accelerating. The problem can best be described as when a clutch is going out on a manual stick shift car. It is revving and making a higher pitched sound but the RPMs are not rising. It feels like the car is going to stall out, but once I get it going to a speed of about 35 mph, it no longer is an issue. Today after it happened, the car was making a noise like a crackling sound and smelled like something was burning. I had the car in the shop on Tuesday and they could not find anything wrong with it. I happened again today and they have had the car all day and cannot get it to act up. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Car: 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. About 80,000 miles.

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

cup1981

March, 11, 2011 AT 7:38 AM

1)I always recommend replacing any heat shield that the manufacturer puts on a car. The being said, it is highly unlikely to cause any problems.

2) It sounds as if there may be an electrical problem with the transmission. Is there a check engine light on? Even if there isn't one, have a technician scan it for history codes and point out any transmission related codes. That seems like the logical place to start. Check that and get back to me, we will go from there.

Terri0522

March, 11, 2011 AT 1:50 PM

Just spoke to the dealership. They did check the history codes and found nothing. They are thinking it may be the exhaust. They said that could cause smells and if it is clogged, effect the transmission.

cup1981

March, 11, 2011 AT 2:02 PM

Yeah, that is correct. I didn't even think about the catalytic converter getting clogged. That would cause a very similar issue. I would expect a clogged exhaust to trigger some code, but it doesn't always.

Terri0522

March, 11, 2011 AT 2:30 PM

Fingered crossed that is it and solves my issue. Thanks for the assist!

Terri0522

March, 12, 2011 AT 2:19 PM

Well, they could not find anything wrong with the exhaust. They gave me the car back and suggested that if the engine light comes on, to bring the car back in. Unfortunately, the engine light has nevet come on when it happend and it only happened twice. Any suggestions?

Terri0522

March, 12, 2011 AT 2:19 PM

Terri0522

March, 12, 2011 AT 2:20 PM

Terri0522

March, 12, 2011 AT 2:20 PM

Terri0522

March, 12, 2011 AT 2:21 PM

Terri0522

March, 12, 2011 AT 2:21 PM

Well, they could not find anything wrong with the exhaust. They gave me the car back and suggested that if the engine light comes on, to bring the car back in. Unfortunately, the engine light has never come on when it happend and it only happened twice. Any suggestions?

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Filter Change