CRANKS OVER SLOWLY THEN GOES FASTER

2003 Hyundai Accent

isetheboy

November, 20, 2011 AT 9:40 PM

I own a 2003 Hyundai Accent. Recently purchased it. It cranks over slowly at first and then faster after a second. Battery tested at 83% so replaced it with a new one from Walmart and the new one was almost dead, Had to charge it, The car still cranks over, I am thinking the starter motor or maybe the battery could the timing have anything to do with the slow cranking? I had a new timing belt put on at the Hyundai dealer on Wednesday.

rivermikerat

November, 20, 2011 AT 9:42 PM

Yes. Incorrectly set timing could be a problem. Take it to an Autozone or Pep Boys and have them conduct a starter draw test.
Does it run properly once started?

isetheboy

November, 20, 2011 AT 10:01 PM

Yes it runs perfect and has lots of power for a 1.6. And fuel economy is great too. Only problem is the starting. Can any garage do a starter draw test. Or can I do it myself.

rivermikerat

November, 20, 2011 AT 10:12 PM

The garage must have the right test equipment. Not all do. But Pep Boys, Autozone, and similar parts chains do. If you have an ammeter capable of testing up to 500Amps, you can test it.

isetheboy

November, 21, 2011 AT 1:23 AM

How could the timing be off, I just had a new belt put on at the dealership I would think they checked the timing. Anyways, can the belt be off by one notch and the car still run?

rivermikerat

November, 21, 2011 AT 3:22 AM

Yes, it can be off by a couple of teeth and still run. In fact, the Ford 2.3L engine from the late 70s had to have the crank timing advanced by 3 teeth in order to run after changing the belt.

Because nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. They will usually test the ignition timing after assembly, but if the cam timing is off, it won't show up as readily.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000