2003 Honda Accord Trunk lid tention bar

PROPAINTING
  • 2003 HONDA ACCORD
One of my trunk lid tention bars broke, are they easy to replace and what tools would I need to replace the broken tention bar.
Thursday, November 12th, 2015 AT 12:46 PM

That's not something we commonly do, so you're going to have to look at how they work. Typically the bar clips in on one side and you give it a twist to engage it into some notches on the other side. A good way to practice and figure it out is to visit a pick-your-own-parts salvage yard and experiment on a car there. If you're anywhere between Ohio and southern Georgia, do a search for "Pull-A-Part" to see if they have a yard near you. Their yards are very clean and well-organized, and parts are not expensive.

I looked at an online service manual, and believe me, that was no help. There were just a bunch of drawings with the instructions to "remove this" or "install that". They show a clip in the middle that has to be unsnapped. If you have a two-door model, remove the left bar first, then the right one. If you have a four-door, remove the right bar first, then the left one.
Thursday, November 12th, 2015 AT 8:56 PM