RADIATOR DRAIN

2003 GMC Safari

doctasuds

January, 27, 2011 AT 5:15 AM

How and where do I access tthe radiator drain on my 03 GMC Safari AWD?

January, 27, 2011 AT 6:20 AM

Check at the driver side corner of the radiator

doctasuds

I wish it were that easy. It is on my other vehicles. Seems to be a lot of plstic "stuff" under there. No petcock in sight. What do I have to remove?

Remove the bottom hose to drain, if you're unable to locate the drain plug

doctasuds

January, 28, 2011 AT 1:20 AM

Removing lower radiator hose is a difficult option due to the fact that it is under the AC receiver and part of the air intake system. My 7 year old can't even get his arm down in that space. Underneath is blocked by the frame, and a piece of plastic that also serves as an anchoring point for the power steering cooling lines. I've already removed it thinking I would find the drain but still could not. So. I flushed the system by removing the 5/8" heater hose that is right there on top of the passenger side that goes to the heater core. I connected a water hose to the exposed nipple, and coupled the open line into a catch resevoir. Ran the motor while flushing for 5 min. Thru hose and then 5 more with hose blocked and cap off the top of radiator. Had great flow judging by 4" geiser out of radiator top. I can do this becase the thermostat is stuck open. I am driving currently with water and prestone super cleaner. In 2 days I will reflush w/ water, drain by running empty and siphoning the remaining water out of radiator. Then I will fill w/ new 50/50 coolant. I hate newer cars. More and more they are making them so that us backyard mechanics can't work on them.

Water Pump Replacement Made Easy
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Replace Heater Core