BRAKE PROBLEMS

2003 Ford Taurus

Fullflush

January, 11, 2012 AT 2:57 AM

I can't get the brakes to work after I have changed out the pads, rotors, calip, and master cyl. Pedal is stiff with engine off but once you start it it goes to the floor. I can pump the brakes and they will get hard, if I slowly applie the brakes they are soft if I push fast on them they are hard. I have used a suction tube to bleed the air and just don't know what to do next. Changed Front brakes only!

fixitmr

January, 11, 2012 AT 3:00 AM

Did you bleed all lines? Front & rear?

January, 11, 2012 AT 3:42 AM

THIS IS SORTA THE WAY I BENCH BLEED ON THE VEHICLE---AND BLEED THE SYSTEM

This can be done on the vehicle (my preference) using two people, one pumping and one monitoring the Master Cylinder. I wrap string loops around the little hoses, and tie a knot, as to keep the tubes from blowing off of the plastic adapters.

I take it one step further, by squeezing the little hoses with my fingers (as if I were a check valve) The VERY SLOW PUMPING OF THE PEDAL will push the fluid into the reservoir, BY MY PINCHING, but will not allow it TO S.UCK AIR/FLUID BACK INTO THE MC (CONSTANTLY AN OUTWARD FLOW), as you will see happen in the beginning of this video....My way makes air purge faster, but if you did not tie the hoses to the adapters--THEY WILL BLOW LOOSE (lots of adjectives will be used, and your eyes may burn!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jhbz4mVKw&feature=related

IS THIS SORTA WHAT YOU DID, OFF THE VEHICLE?

THIS IS THE WAY I BLEED (PEOPLE OFTEN SORTA DO IT WRONG! ON SOME NEWER STUFF, OTHER STEPS MAY BE INVOLVED, THE OTHER GUYS MAY ADD THAT IN, if needed, THIS WAY HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME!)

I HAVE TRIED THE VACUUM PUMP WAY, AND ALSO THE LINE ATTACHED TO A BLEEDER VALVE SUBMERGED IN A CUP OF BRAKE FLUID........NEVER SATISFACTORY RESULTS FOR ME!

THIS IS THE WAY I WAS TAUGHT

KEEP FLUID IN THE RESERVOIR AT ALL TIMES/ CONSTANTLY CHECKING!

START WITH FURTHEST OUT WHEEL CYLINDER, FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER, WORKING TO THE CLOSEST (RR, LR, RF, LF)

2 PEOPLE, ONE PUMPING, OTHER BLEEDING AND REFILLING

1-MAN BREAKS BLEEDER LOOSE (so it ain't so tight)-SNUGS IT BACK YELLS, "PUMP IT UP"

2 MAN-PUMPS 6-8 TIMES (YELLS "PUMPING") THEN HOLDS PEDAL--YELLS, "HOLDING" (never lets up, until told to)

1-MAN CRACKS BLEEDER...AIR/ FLUID SPURTS OUT

2-MAN YELL, "FLOOR", JUST BEFORE THE PEDAL, ACTUALLY HITS THE FLOOR

1-MAN TIGHTENS THE BLEEDER....WHILE IT IS STILL SPURTING OUT (NOT AFTER IT STOPS...OR IT WILL SUCK AIR BACK IN).....THEN YELLS, "OKAY---PUMP IT UP"

AFTER YOU GET A RHYTHM GOING AND YOUR PUMPING MAN, IS "TRAINED", THE LINGO SORTA TURNS INTO

1 MAN "OK!"

2 MAN "OK!"

AND SO ON!

PROCESS STARTS OVER, UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED THE AIR IS PURGED OUT

YOU SHOULD HAVE "DRUM BRAKES" ALREADY ADJUSTED OUTWARD, BEFORE YOU DO THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE.

I HAVE SEEN DUMMIES BREAK OPEN THE BLEEDERS, AND JUST START PUMPING AWAY, THEN SHUT 'EM......NOT GOOD!

MAYBE YOU HAVE DONE ALL OF THIS--MAYBE YOU JUST DIDN'T KNOW---I FIGURED I'D SLING IT OUT, JUST IN CASE....MANY TIMES WE "ASSUME" THE OTHER PARTY IS DOING THINGS CORRECTLY...THEN CHASE OUR TAILS, LOOKING FOR NON-EXISTENT, OTHER POSSIBILITIES
XBLEEDING

WHATCHU THINK?

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy