Is is the battery, altenator, tensioner, or belt?

RWALKE10
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
I have a 2003 ford taurus. About a week ago, I noticed the power windows raising and lowering slower, along with dimmer headlights, and slower moving wipers, however the car never had a problem starting. This afternoon, I noticed that the windows were moving very slowly, and now the car wont start, it trys to turn over, but then just clicks rapidly. The battery and starter are both less than 2 years old. Could this be a worn drive belt or tensioner, or is it most certainly a bad alternator?
Saturday, February 11th, 2012 AT 7:23 PM

Have the battery tested and the alternator. If both are good, then check for a lose belt. The quick clicking tells me the battery is very weak. Charge it. Then, drive it to a parts store and have the check the alt and battery. Most will do it for free.
Saturday, February 11th, 2012 AT 7:39 PM
RWALKE10
Thank you Jacob. I do now have the battery on a charger. I charged it to the point that it would start, reattached the battery cables and started the car. With the car running, I removed the battery cable, and the engine shut down. Is this further indication of a bad alternator? I was told (by my uncle) that with a properly functioning alternator, the engine should continue to run with a battery cable disconnected.
Saturday, February 11th, 2012 AT 8:10 PM
That is what it sounds like. Take a volt meter and check the voltage from the battery with the engine off. It should be around 12 volts. Start the engine and recheck. It should be around 14 volts. If there is no change or very little, the alt is my first guess.
Saturday, February 11th, 2012 AT 8:49 PM
RWALKE10
Thanks for the feedback! I took it down to the local advance auto and had them put their computer on it. Their diagnosis was a bad alternator. Called a couple local mechanics and got estimates of $350 to replace it with a rebuilt. I went back to advance auto and bought a rebuilt off the shelf, installed it in no time at all for under $180.00 total. And since I had the belt loosened anyway, I went ahead and replaced that for another $30.00. Had the system tested again after the work, and everything is berries and peaches again. Thank you again for your feedback!
Sunday, February 12th, 2012 AT 12:35 AM
Glad you got it fixed.
Sunday, February 12th, 2012 AT 3:06 AM