FUEL PUMP

2003 Ford Mustang

wlyb

June, 6, 2013 AT 7:26 AM

2003 Mustang V6 plain jane. I dropped the gas tank to access the fuel pump. I reconnected the harness plug to see if the pump runs. When I turned the key on the pump will run for less than a second and a small amount of gas will be ejected from the line. Does this mean that the pump is GOOD or BAD? Or is there a sensor that shuts it down due to lack of line pressure or something?

caradiodoc

June, 6, 2013 AT 12:43 PM

The pump is supposed to stop running until the Engine Computer sees engine rotation. That is the safety feature to prevent pumping fuel onto the ground if a fuel line gets ruptured in a crash. The pump will run while you're cranking the engine.

wlyb

June, 6, 2013 AT 1:14 PM

Thank you. I tried cranking and got the same thing. I'm replacing the pump and filter now for the peace of mind.

caradiodoc

June, 6, 2013 AT 2:39 PM

By "same thing" do you mean it runs continuously but you get just a dribble of gas? I don't know if your pump is the same as older ones but in some cases it pumps fuel into a bowl, then pumps from that bowl to the engine. If you have the assembly out of the tank and you just set the pickup screen in some gas, it won't pump any gas if that bowl is empty.

Also, before you buy the new one, Ford had a problem on some models where they had a rubber hose connecting the pickup screen to the pump. That hose would dry rot and leak. Air would get sucked up instead of gas. The clue was the car would run fine until the level in the tank dropped enough to expose that leak. As I recall, that occurred at about 1/4 tank.

wlyb

June, 10, 2013 AT 5:54 AM

Thank you for the info. You have been the MOST helpful person I have yet communicated with. By "same thing" I meant the pump would only run for a split second. Anyway I changed the pump, didn't perform any tests, installed the tank, and car still wont start. Thanks for your input. Lost

caradiodoc

June, 10, 2013 AT 11:50 AM

Couple of observations. If you hear the pump run for one second when you turn on the ignition switch we know it's working. If not, don't overlook a bad ground. Typically there is a ground wire in the connector for the pump motor but it's possible they just use the metal gas tank against the metal tank straps or car body.

Check for spark. If it is missing the fuel pump will not run during engine cranking. That's a safety feature to stop the pump if a fuel line gets ruptured in a crash. The place to start for that is by checking the diagnostic fault codes. They won't say to replace any parts. They just indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis.

wlyb

June, 11, 2013 AT 9:12 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Its getting fire. I'll get the error codes checked. Thanks again.

wlyb

June, 14, 2013 AT 8:43 PM

THE ANSWER IS. And I never would have thought. The KEY went bad. Found a guy that does "house calls" for $50. I probably wouldn't have believed him if we didn't have a spare key.

Thanks for all your help caradiodoc.

caradiodoc

June, 15, 2013 AT 1:14 PM

Ya gotta love computers. Too bad anti-theft systems keep more owners out of their cars than the thefts they prevent. Happy to hear yours is solved.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang