DO I NEED THE BEARING AND THE HUB OR JUST THE BEARING ?

2003 Ford Focus

alexturcotte

October, 12, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

Hi, I just bought a ford focus zx5 2003 and I noticed that when I am driving, the front tires seem to make quite a bit of noise. Sort of like a humming sound. Im almost positive that it is my bearings. But my question is, Will I only have to buy the ''bearing'' or the ''bearing'' and the ''hub''?

saturntech9

October, 12, 2012 AT 12:54 AM

Do you have a floor jack and jack stands so we can see if there is a bad bearing?Also have you checked the tires for being cupped etc.

alexturcotte

October, 12, 2012 AT 12:59 AM

I have a jack that came with the vehicule. What do you mean by cupped? My tires are a bit low profile I would say. But how can I check if the bearing is bad.

saturntech9

October, 12, 2012 AT 1:13 AM

If you have to replace bearing your going to need a jack stand and real jack to do it safely plus other tools. To check the bearing put the car on jack stands put the car in neutral then put one hand on the coil spring. Use the other hand to spin the tire as fast as you can you will be able to feel/hear the bad bearing. Also run your hand over the tread of the tire feeling for smooth even tread.

alexturcotte

October, 12, 2012 AT 1:17 AM

Alright thanks ! And also I noticed that my hand brake light seems to stay on even though I released the hand break.

How much do you think it would cost me approx to replace a bearing at a mechanic?

saturntech9

October, 12, 2012 AT 3:43 AM

Whats your zip code?

alexturcotte

October, 12, 2012 AT 3:54 AM

J2k3g6

saturntech9

October, 12, 2012 AT 5:12 AM

Thats not a zip code

Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
Axle Seal Replacement