Brakes Went Out

UMHAU
  • 2003 FORD F-350

I was driving my Ford E350 van yesterday when the brakes gave out. I had it towed to the shop. The shop found nothing wrong after a test drive; they suggest replacing the master cylinder, but they cannot guarantee this will fix the problem. I am worried because it might be something else that is wrong!

The Ford van had been driven for 25 minutes, the brakes working without any problem. Driving slowly ( about 10mph) down a narrow suburban lane, I braked as I approached the stop sign. The brake pedal went all the way to the floor with no response, three times. Simultaneously, there was a loud grinding noise. I was able to turn and stop at the curb and did not drive any longer. The emergency brake was not employed during the driving time.

Please advise me. I do not want to find out the hard way that there is some other cause for the break failure!

THANKS!

John

Friday, November 18th, 2011 AT 2:05 PM

It cold be a master cylinder or it may have been just plain low on fluid due to you admitting to a grinding nooise. If they checked the whole system and yoru pads/shoes are good then go with the master as that usually is what happens when a master goes.

Friday, November 18th, 2011 AT 3:05 PM