Power steering hose replacement

VPDIY
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
I am replacing the power steering high pressure hose and its rusted fast to the housing. All fasteners, clips, and retaining plates have been removed and the only thing left is to pull the fitting out of the steering box housing, but it will not budge and rusted fast. Have been soaking it with PB Blaster to attempt to break it loose. I am reluctant to put heat on it for fear to damage to steering box seals and internals. Any suggestions
Thursday, November 24th, 2011 AT 2:06 AM

Continue the PB blaster overnight and use a line wrench to get the best grip here is a video that show help.

https://youtu.be/BGBUv5r9fk0

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Thursday, November 24th, 2011 AT 2:24 AM
KHLOW2008
Try some twisting with the wrench forcing it while tapping on it.
-1
Thursday, November 24th, 2011 AT 2:30 PM
Done gnarled it all up?

Still able to get a bite?

I love heat!

Heat is my friend!

I looked at pics of your pump at auto zone and on oreilly auto parts on line

i think that if you wrap the majority of the pump w/ a sopping wet rag

have your wrench at the ready

and apply heat from a plumbers "turbo torch" (handheld unit, w/ mapp gas)---not a regular old propane unit (looks similar though)or use a pinpoint tip on a acetylene rig

something that will immediately and very quickly heat up the portion around stuck fitting (the boss) only!I'm talking 15 seconds of rotating the heat then pass off the torch to your pal and get on it w/ the wrench real fast!

Imma plumber, this is what I use to solder and also do "light" un-sticking of parts (like yours). Coupled w/ a bottle of map gas, it's the next best thing to acetylene!---10 times better than a propane torch
keep your rag tight and wet---keep heat off of the fitting to be extracted----there's no doubt this will get it out

the "o" ring will most likely be fried, once the fitting is removed--so be sure to change it

hope this helps

the medic
-1
Thursday, November 24th, 2011 AT 3:52 PM
VPDIY
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I am still working on the PB Blaster soaking & light tapping for the second day. The only twisting I can put on it is by putting a rotating tube at the bend going into the fitting. Very tough area to work in with brake lines, electrical cables and cooling lines occupying the same area - reason why I'm reluctant to use heat. Also tough to get another set of hands in there to assist. Will try to get a picture of situation, but again, thanks for the help.
Friday, November 25th, 2011 AT 5:02 AM
KHLOW2008
Try retightening the lock nut and then turning it loose 2 or 3 turns and then try the tugging and bending. The lock nut would give you additional leverage for the end.
Friday, November 25th, 2011 AT 1:22 PM
VPDIY
I have not been able to budge the fitting with soaking with PB blaster and tapping it. Still have not tried heat due to o rings in adjacent fitting at the top. Have attached 2 photos, one of the fitting in the steering box (bottom one) and the other of the new hose without the o-ring in the groove to show what I'm dealing with. I cannot even get a tool to grip on the small shoulder to help trying to twist when using the gripping the tubing to try to get it to move. Suspect the fitting is rusted all the way to the o-ring inside the housing and the PB Blaster is not getting in to it. Got me baffled.
Sunday, November 27th, 2011 AT 7:31 PM
Sometimes you must sacrifice and do what you gotta do!

How bout this

borrow a heavy duty deep well socket the correct size. From your neighbor

grind it similar to a o2 sensor socket (side partially ground out)

anyway. Chopping the side out of the socket you borrowed from your neighbor may have weakened it. Add insurance!

Place socket over the nut---open a hose clamp all the way up and put it over the socket (over the nut portion you are removing)---tighten it down tight (this will give some added strength so the socket does not "spread open"

once you get it broke loose, remove the hose clamp--the socket should be stout enough to screw it on out

course w/ the hose in the way, you will have to pick it up and move it to another position as you progress

sound like a plan?

The medic
Sunday, November 27th, 2011 AT 8:08 PM
KHLOW2008
The joint shown is not for the high pressure hose. That should be the feed hose.

Since you are replacing the hose, cut off the pipe somewhere 3 or 4 inches from the almost 90 degrees bend and use a hammer to tap the sawn off part downwards to make a U turn to allow you to use a screw driver as lever to twist the pipe.
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 12:13 PM
VPDIY
CJMEDEVAC, the socket idea would be a great idea if the Ford engineers had put a hex surface on the slip fitting so you could do that would have made life so much easier. Almost to the point now of going with heat as you suggested because it's still not moving. The one that's frozen is the lower right hand one with the black tube that is held in by the retaining plate that is in turn bolted to the rack housing (terrific design). Will keep your socket idea in mind for screw fittings though. Thanks
+2
Thursday, December 1st, 2011 AT 6:18 AM
KHLOW2008
If you cut the tubing, insert a metal rod into the pipe to support the tube and you can try to wiggle it loose with the rod instead of the pipe.

The rod would reinforce the pipe if you were to use a grip plier or wrench to turn it.
Thursday, December 1st, 2011 AT 4:22 PM
VPDIY
Both great ideas guys, will try later today. Thanks
Thursday, December 1st, 2011 AT 5:16 PM
HARLEYDUDE65B
My 03 ranger power steering lines were like that and I cut them off flush and screwed a long sheet metal screw into them then locked vise grips on the screw and used a 24 inch pry bar against the grips and pulled the top section of the fitting out then I took drill bits and by hand just kept drilling a little bigger each time until the corrosion was gone I then took a pick and popped it out I hope this helps.
+4
Wednesday, May 14th, 2014 AT 8:50 AM
TINYJONES
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
Steering problem
1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

i am replacing a pressue hose for my power steering. I have gotten the replacement part but it doesnt match exactly. In the end that goes to the rack on old hose the center is open and on the new one the center has a raised nipple. I checked with 2 different parts stores and they have the same as I bought. Any ideas why this is that way do I need to get a special one from a dealer. Thank you for any help
Friday, November 2nd, 2018 AT 11:44 AM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
This does happen from time to time, aftermarket hoses can be assigned the wrong part numbers! You might try having the store look up a hose for one or two years earlier, if no luck, Dealer, or junkyard might work.