2003 FORD EXPLORER POSSIBLE ENGINE TIMING CHAIN NOISE

• msprague80
  • 2003 Ford Explorer

I own a 2003 For Explorer 4WD with a 4.0L SOHC V6 engine with approximately 109k miles. Not too long ago, when the car was started, there was a loud bang, the vehicle shuddered, then the engine died. Since then, the engine will turn over but produces a loud noise that almost sounds like a rapid machine gun noise with a strong smell of gas Despite my best efforts, I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from; it seems like it's coming from all over the engine. It is not an accessory since removing serpentine belt does not eliminate the noise. Do you have any thoughts on what it could be? My fear is that is timing chain cassette related, which is a hefty cost to fix.

Thursday, July 25th, 2013 AT 2:17 PM

• CJ MEDEVAC

MAYBE YOU BLEW A SPARK PLUG OUT OF ITS HOLE?

Thursday, July 25th, 2013 AT 8:00 PM
  • msprague80

Unfortunately, it is not a blown out spark plug. That was one of the first things I looked at; all 6 were there. I performed a compression test on the engine, and before putting the plugs back in, I inspected them for damage. The plugs were in decent condition.

Friday, July 26th, 2013 AT 2:24 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

HAVE YOU NARROWED DOWN THE AREA WHERE THE RACKET IS COMING FROM?

COMPRESSION TEST YIELD ANYTHING?

Friday, July 26th, 2013 AT 2:28 PM