POSSIBLE ENGINE TIMING CHAIN NOISE

2003 Ford Explorer

msprague80

July, 25, 2013 AT 2:17 PM

I own a 2003 For Explorer 4WD with a 4.0L SOHC V6 engine with approximately 109k miles. Not too long ago, when the car was started, there was a loud bang, the vehicle shuddered, then the engine died. Since then, the engine will turn over but produces a loud noise that almost sounds like a rapid machine gun noise with a strong smell of gas Despite my best efforts, I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from; it seems like it's coming from all over the engine. It is not an accessory since removing serpentine belt does not eliminate the noise. Do you have any thoughts on what it could be? My fear is that is timing chain cassette related, which is a hefty cost to fix.

July, 25, 2013 AT 8:00 PM

MAYBE YOU BLEW A SPARK PLUG OUT OF ITS HOLE?

msprague80

July, 26, 2013 AT 2:24 PM

Unfortunately, it is not a blown out spark plug. That was one of the first things I looked at; all 6 were there. I performed a compression test on the engine, and before putting the plugs back in, I inspected them for damage. The plugs were in decent condition.

July, 26, 2013 AT 2:28 PM

HAVE YOU NARROWED DOWN THE AREA WHERE THE RACKET IS COMING FROM?

COMPRESSION TEST YIELD ANYTHING?

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue