Dead Explorer

DEADEXPLODER
  • 2003 FORD 500
  • AWD
I have a 2003 Explorer that died coming off of the freeway yesterday. I was just told that the timing chain is broken. The Ford Dealer said he can check for any further damage and then replace the chain for about $1,800. Another repair place said they would not do that due to the risk of valve and other damage and would replace the engine for about $4,500. I just put over $3,000 into it (it has about 80,000 miles) last year for trasnsmission and radiator replacements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 AT 5:15 PM

I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FIX YOU. SOMEONE HERE, MAY BE ABLE TO DO THAT

I SAW YOU HAD BEEN PATIENTLY WAITING!--IMMA JEEP CJ KINDA GUY, I WILL DO ALL I CAN, BUT MAINLY GET MORE INFO AS TO SPEED UP THE PROCESS, FOR ME OR WHOM EVER JUMPS IN TO ANSWER.I AM NOT AN EXPERT W/ YOUR VEHICLE. BUT THEY DO WALK AMONG US, HERE AT 2CARPROS!

AS FAR AS BROKEN CHAIN, WAS THIS JUST "TOSSED" AT YOU, STANDING BACK W/ THEIR FINGER ON THEIR CHIN (SORTA LIKE PEOPLE TOSS AROUND "VAPOR LOCK" AS BEING THE ISSUE, WHEN THEY CAN'T COME UP WITH A LEGITIMATE ANSWER) OR DID SOMEONE ACTUALLY/ REALLY INVESTIGATE, MAYBE GET SOME OIL ON THEIR FINGERS AND "REALLY VERIFY" THIS WAS THE CASE?

I/ WE MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU VERIFY IF IT IS/ IS NOT STILL INTACT (THE TIMING CHAIN)

I THINK IT WOULD BE AWFUL IF YOUR REAL FIX WAS, A FUSE, ALTERNATOR, SENSOR, MAYBE $5O OR LESS. AND YOU ARE LED TO SLAUGHTER FOR A NEW ENGINE, BY THE WOLVES. NOW. THIS IS JUST ME A-THINKIN', IT MAY BE AS SERIOUS AS YOU SEEM TO THINK. BUT I LIKE MULTIPLE "HANDS ON" DIAGNOSIS'. NOT AN OPINION FROM AFAR!

CAN YOU DESCRIBE EXACTLY WHAT IT DID, BEFORE/ WHEN THIS ISSUE BEGAN. SOUNDS, EXPLOSIONS, ETC?

RECENT HISTORY, UN-MONITORED TEENAGE ABUSE POSSIBLE. CHECKED YOUR OIL EVERY WEEK AS THE OWNERS MANUAL PRESCRIBES? WHAT WILL IT DO AT THE PRESENT? NOISES. SUPER DETAIL IS REALLY A PLUS FOR US!

OTHERS CAN JUMP IN AND HELP TOO, WATCH FOR NEW NAMES!

IF YOU HAVE NO TOOLS, KNOW-HOW, OR WHATEVER, I MAY BE ABLE TO STEER YOU TOWARD LESS EXPENSIVE OPTIONS, OTHER THAN THE DEALER, FOR TESTING OR FIXING.I MYSELF HUMBLE MYSELF, TO GET THE RESOURCES I NEED TO COMPLETE MY MISSIONS!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

YOUR TURN

Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 AT 6:47 PM
Open up one valve cover -have someone crank the engine over while you look at the rocker arms if its going up and down if so the chain is not broken-
Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 AT 8:19 PM