TRUCK WILL CRANK, BUT NOT FIRE

2003 Dodge Ram

Zoomie

December, 12, 2011 AT 8:53 PM

Truck sat for over a year (travesty). It now has fresh gas and battery. I tried cranking it, and the first time, it tried to fire, then nothing. All subsequent cranks are fruitless. I can hear the fuel pump and it' s relay click, though the pump sounds a little labored. Truck was running good when it was parked. Nothing squirts out of the valve on the fuel injection rail. Obviously it seems to be fuel delivery, but where is a good place to start, and where are things like pumps and filters located? Also open to any other suggestions! Also, what is that switch (disk that pops up) under the battery?

Thank you very much.

December, 12, 2011 AT 9:06 PM

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge to rule the fuel filter, intank pick-up sock and fuel pump-start here

Zoomie

December, 12, 2011 AT 9:12 PM

Thank you. Just checked the valve on the fuel injection rail again. Little gurgly sound. Is this where you check the pressure. A little liquid came out and very little odor, but smelled like old gas. The ignition was on when I pushed the valve.

Zoomie

December, 12, 2011 AT 9:15 PM

Also, what is the switch in the bottom of the battery box?

December, 12, 2011 AT 9:19 PM

Hook up the fuel pressure gauge to it and read off the pressure than comeback with the readings

Zoomie

December, 12, 2011 AT 10:22 PM

I don't have a pressure gauge, looked everywhere. However, I was able to depress the valve and then key the ignition. The pump (or something ran (sounds labored maybe)), but no fuel squirted out.

December, 12, 2011 AT 10:41 PM

If you're thinking about the fuel shutoff switch I don't think its located there-no fuel came out-check the fuel pump-if its the fuel cut switch the fuel pump will not turn on that's if you cannot hear the fuel pump coming on-

Zoomie

December, 12, 2011 AT 10:47 PM

I hear a whine when the ignition is keyed. I didn't try cranking it for that test. I also can't find any info about a fuel cut-off switch anywhere, manual, looking, etc. The sound I hear is a pump that runs for about 2 seconds and then it stops with a click. This is normal, though the sound has changed a bit. I just wanted to see if the pump would make anything squirt out of the valve on the injector rail. Logic tells me that if the pump made any pressure, then something should have come out of the valve. The valve was depressed while the ignition was keyed.
Thank you so much for your help!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe