THE CAR IS OVER HEATING AND SMOKING AROUND THE ...

2003 Dodge Intrepid

terenceslattery

March, 22, 2013 AT 5:07 PM

The car is over heating and smoking around the top of the engine block also large amounts of smoke is coming from the tail pipe. Also the car will accelerate then wont accelerate. Also when I fill up with coolant it comes out the bottom when I drive.

Jacobandnickolas

March, 22, 2013 AT 5:09 PM

What color is the smoke from the exhaust? Can you see where the coolant is leaking from?

terenceslattery

March, 22, 2013 AT 5:18 PM

Not sure what the color of the smoke is my wife saw it not I and the coolant was leaking from the thermostat area and some other location I havent been able to locate yet

Jacobandnickolas

March, 22, 2013 AT 5:34 PM

It could be the thermostat housing leaking or a temp sending unit. You need to dry things off and get yourself a pressure tester for the cooling system. Many parts stores will lend them to you. All you do is when the engine is cold, attach the tester (which is nothing more than a pump) to the radiator and pressurize the system. At that point, the leak should show up. If you clean the area prior to doing this, it makes it much easier.

As far as the smoke, I need to know what color it was, blue, black, white. If it was white, chances are you have a bad head gasket.

Let me know.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filter Change