2003 Dodge Caravan Dodge Caravan - CHRISTMAS TREE

• 1 POST

Hi friends,
Could you help me please to fix a headache?

I been running my DODGE CARAVAN 2003 during several months with a brake problem.
ABS, BRAKE AND TRAC OFF LIGTHS ARE PERMANENTLY ON since I change the brake shoe pads.
Brake feeling is just a little long.

I´ve googling some articles, books and videos about this problem in Caravans but all address me to scan the ABS module, which I don´t find anywhere in my van. I don't even find the speed sensors on any wheel, to the point I realized my van doesn't have ABS !

CODES PRESENT: P1684, P1404, P701
VIN: 1D8GP25333B140420

Airbag light is also lit.
As you can imagine, the cluster is like a christmas tree!

Please help me!

Thursday, November 6th, 2014 AT 12:21 PM

Sorry I didn't see this two months ago. Have you solved the problem?

You have a number of things going on that could each have their own cause, but if any of them are related, I'd first be looking at the ignition switch and its wiring.

Start with the red "Brake" light. There are only three things that will turn that on. One is low brake fluid level in the reservoir. One is a parking brake pedal that isn't fully-released. The last is a tripped pressure-differential valve due to a fluid leak or improper brake system bleeding procedures. Check those things first.

When that red light is on, the Anti-lock Brake Computer doesn't know why. It just knows that the cause may prevent it from operating the anti-lock function correctly, so it turns that system off, sets a diagnostic fault code in that computer, and turns on the yellow "ABS" warning light to tell you. The traction control is an optional system added on to the ABS system, so if the ABS is deactivated, the traction control system is too, so that light turns on.

The Air Bag light is unrelated to the brake system. The diagnostic fault codes you listed are power train codes. You need a scanner that can access the other computers to read the fault codes in the ABS and Air Bag Computers. A simple code reader will only access the Engine Computer. If your van doesn't have ABS, that computer will come up on the list on the scanner.

I don't know what "Brake feeling is just a little long" means. You'll have to describe that differently. Also, be careful to not get the slightest hint of petroleum product in the brake fluid. Even a light film of engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, or axle grease will contaminate the entire brake hydraulic system. That is a REAL expensive repair.

Thursday, January 1st, 2015 AT 11:31 PM