FUEL PRESSURE PROBLEMS

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

joseluna01

May, 7, 2012 AT 2:48 PM

I’ve changed on my 2003 Silverado 1500hd the crank & cam sensor, ignition switch, starter, key cylinder switch, fuel relay, fuel pressure regulator and I checked the fuel pressure on it (which I did first). So it's not holding the prime pressure when I first turn the key but overall works perfect once I get it to turn on. So I gave in and took it to the mechanic and he said it was the fuel pump. So I changed it myself because I don't have $850 to pay him for 5 hoses, 1 electrical clip and 2 bolt removal. Guess what? It’s still doing the same thing; it will not hold the prime pressure needed to start the truck! Can someone help me out here! I’m about to drive the truck off the cliff! Well push it over if it doesn't start.

cadieman

May, 7, 2012 AT 2:59 PM

When u turn the key on do u hear the pump prime?

joseluna01

May, 7, 2012 AT 3:10 PM

I put the fuel pressure tester on it, I turn the key and it primes to 50 psi for about 2 sec, then comes back down to zero (0)?

cadieman

May, 7, 2012 AT 5:25 PM

Check for voltage at the fuse. Try ether will it try to start?

joseluna01

May, 8, 2012 AT 6:56 PM

Question, does the fuel pressure SENSOR have to be connected or is this just for testing propose? I know it measures the pressure in the tank but just noticed that it's not connected. Wil this cause my problem?

Wrenchtech

May, 8, 2012 AT 7:27 PM

Even 50 isn't enough pressure. See if there is a rubber section of the return line that you can pinch off to test the pressure again. If not, you will have to disconnect the line and test the pressure "dead headed".

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test