Service brake booster

ANISSASMOM1
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My service light came on and it reads service brake booster. What is a brake booster and how much will this cost me? My truck is a 6 cylinder, 4.3 engine I believe.
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:50 PM

There are two power brake versions available. One has the common and reliable vacuum booster. There is no way to monitor its performance with a warning light. The other system is called "hydro-boost" and runs off pressurized power steering fluid. That system was developed for use with diesel engines because they often don't have enough vacuum to run the regular system. They might have used it on your truck for the same reason.

Also check the brake fluid level in the reservoir. If it's just half full, you can try adding a little from a clean, sealed container of new fluid, but don't fill it to the top. There needs to be room in the reservoir to accept the fluid that will return there whenever new front brake pads are installed in the future. If the level is REAL low, suspect a fluid leak. Be absolutely CERTAIN you do not get the slightest hint of power steering fluid, or any other petroleum-based product, like engine oil, mixed in with brake fluid. Don't leave any container of brake fluid uncapped for very long as it will such moisture out of the air. If all of this seems okay the booster needs to be replaced here are instructions below. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 7:18 PM
ANISSASMOM1
Thank you so much, I got a new booster for $165.00 and installed it using the diagrams worked perfect I love this site.
+3
Saturday, July 16th, 2011 AT 11:34 AM
CHVYTRKLVR2000
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck indicated that I need to service the brake booster. What is that?
Sunday, July 28th, 2019 AT 7:17 PM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
The brake booster is up against teh firewall right at teh end of the master cylinder. It is what the master cylinder bolts too, and it has a vaccum hose going to it.
-1
FREDMAC
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Is there a fuse for the power booster? When I apply the brakes, the truck goes dead and theres also a roaring noise coming from where the brake booster is located
Sunday, July 28th, 2019 AT 7:18 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Ok, lets start from scratch. Did you check what I asked in the other post?

Power to the booster? Can you give us more info, like series truck, motor? It will help with the diag

FREDMAC
I didnt see earlier post. What was the possible solution?
ASEMASTER6371
The info on the truck please?

FREDMAC
2003 chevy silverado LS 1500 v8 5.6
-1
WESLEY RICH
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My 2002 chevy 1500hd is making a tumpping noise only when I frist start driving and only once after I start it up it starts at 10 to 25 mph. If I shut the truck off and put in drive and go agian then I here it but if I just stop and the go it is not there only if I kill the truck its like from the brakeing booster or drivers front area.
Usually a thumping is related to the drive line. I would start by checking universal joints on the drive shaft. They can cause a shudder or noise under aceleration.