Cannot get the bottom Bolt out of the rear strut

SCOTT GOLDAMMER
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I cannot get the bottom bolt out of the rear strut on my 2003 Chevy Malibu. I removed the nuts, but cannot budge the bolts. I tried taking the weight off by jacking up wheel assembly but still doesn't budge. The struts are clearly bad and need replacement. I can't get the bottom strut bolts loose. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thursday, November 10th, 2011 AT 3:22 AM

GM uses bolts with serrations under the heads to prevent them from spinning. You have to remove the nuts then tap the bolts out. If you reinstall the nuts backward a few threads and pound on them, you won't damage the threads on the bolt.

Most GM struts do not have slotted holes. Replacement struts often have one lower hole slotted to allow for adjustment during an alignment. Either way, when you install the lower bolts, try to position the wheel as straight up and down as possible so you can stand to drive it to the alignment shop.
-1
Thursday, November 10th, 2011 AT 3:30 AM

Sponsored links