REAR DRUM BRAKES

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

Lucille

June, 16, 2011 AT 2:53 AM

I just installed rear drum brake on the right side of a 2003 cavalier and they seem spongy when I brake. I am not sure if I need to pump the brakes to get them to stiffen up or if I should try tightening up the adjustor.

Danlesabre

June, 16, 2011 AT 4:16 AM

Do you know if the wheel cylinder was replaced? Does the brake pedal sink to the floor if you hold it? When driving, how is the stopping power?

cup1981

June, 16, 2011 AT 6:34 AM

First thing I would try is bleeding the brakes, you may have gotten a little air in the lines. While you are bleeding them, check for any leaks coming from the lines.

I would then check out the fluid level.

Tightening the adjuster may help. Make certain the wheel rotates 3/4-to-1 turn when you spin it. This is the proper drag on the drums. I would doubt that incorrectly adjusted brakes would cause a spongy brake pedal.

I have a question for you. Did you replace just the drum, or the shoes, wheel cylinder etc, as well? If you replaced the shoes, then you could have damaged the seal inside the wheel cylinder. If you replaced the wheel cylinder, you may have not tightened the brake line, or gotten a faulty cylinder.

Try these things and get back to me.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly