DTC CODE PO117 AND COOLANT FANS RUN CONSTANTLY

2003 Cadillac CTS

twincam97

March, 30, 2012 AT 3:54 PM

New head gskts and oil cooler, runs strong, can't get code to stop returning

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:08 PM

Check/test the coolant temperature sensor and check the fan circuit all the way back to the computer

djcl

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:23 PM

This code sets when the coolant temp is more than 280 for more than 3 second.

twincam97

March, 31, 2012 AT 1:25 AM

The ect was replaced the old one was checked for resistance and compared to the chart in manual and was way off. The dic keeps saying engine hot A/C off but the fans never shut off when running and the engine was never hotter than 180. My snap on old 2500 scan tool will read trouble codes but will not let me see any data on this car do u think we might have a ecm problem?

djcl

March, 31, 2012 AT 1:38 AM

Check the wireing back to the ecm. I would like to see date on a scaner. Will the fan turn on as soon as you start the car?

twincam97

March, 31, 2012 AT 1:48 AM

As soon as u start the car the fans [both] turn on and stay on. I have been checking all the wiring over and over and I don, t see any problems, I know that I am missing something.I did buy this car cheap because some one tried to replace the head gaskets and had the ds gasket on upside down blocking oil passage to cams so I do believe that he caused this problem

djcl

March, 31, 2012 AT 1:55 AM

Have you checked the new temp sender to see if its in speck. Could the new one be reading wrong or be the wrong one.

twincam97

March, 31, 2012 AT 2:00 AM

I just did and it has no continuity [open]

djcl

March, 31, 2012 AT 2:04 AM

Sound like you found it. Get a new one good luck.

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT