GAS FILLER CLICKS OFF BEFORE THE TANK IS FULL

2003 Buick Century

ghulamrabbani

September, 8, 2012 AT 4:40 AM

I recently purchased a BUICK Century 2003. I have a problem with filling gas. When I put the gas Nozzle in the tank, I get a click very soon before the tank is full. I have to put gas repeatedly in the tank. This is very annoying. Please tell me the reason for this and how to fix it. Thank you.

saturntech9

September, 8, 2012 AT 5:58 AM

Any codes?Sounds like you could have a vent valve issue or a spider built a nest pinched hose etc.

ghulamrabbani

September, 13, 2012 AT 12:52 AM

Thank you. Regarding the Code, I went the local Autozone and got P0452 (Fuel tank pressure sensor condition)with the following explanations: 1)The evaporative emission system sealed condition is monitored by this sensor Probable Cause(s): Fuel Tank Pressure sensor defective; Check connector and wiring; check hoses and fittings
My question is: Is the Fuel tank pressure sensor a part of the Fuel tank and whether it can be replaced by itself or I have to replace the Fuel tank?

saturntech9

September, 13, 2012 AT 7:19 PM

That code will not cause the gas pump to turn off early. The code you have is for the fuel tank pressure sensor reading.1 volts or less back to the computer. You would need a scan tool that can read live data that will show you what the fuel tank pressure reading is. With the fuel cap off it should read about 1.5 volts. If it doesn't you could have have wire problen or sensor issue most likely causes. The sensor is on top of the gas tank and should be replacable by itself.I have seen animals chew the wires up.

beerhunter

March, 7, 2014 AT 6:26 PM

I have had the same thing happen to me it is most likely the purge cannister is dirty it can be cleaned and will work fine the purge vents the fuel tank so when you are filling up the pressure has no where to go so the pump shuts off the same principal as when you pour a fluid out air needs to replace the void if the purge is plugged there is no where but the filler neck for the pressure to go and in turn shutting off the pump

Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy