INTERMITTENT STARTING TROUBLE

2003 Buick Century

jonmil

October, 28, 2010 AT 3:48 PM

2003 Buick Century 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

In the last 2 days my car started up fine and ran fine until I shut it off. When I tried to start it one minute later it started up but was running with a very weak, thready idle and quit entirely after about 5 seconds. After that it would turn over fine and seem to be on the verge of starting but not fully catch. During both instances I left the car for alone for over an hour after it failed to start. An hour later, it started up as if nothing were wrong. And it started up several times after that.

Late last winter, it failed to start after I left it for 10 minutes. It sounded like it was on the verge of catching but no dice. It was towed to a garage and the next day it started right up. They did a tune up on it, but obviously this problem is something else entirely. Last spring, after being shut off for 2 hours I couldn't start the car and was going to make arrangements for a garage to pick it up, but after an hour I got it going and it was fine after that?

BMRFIXIT

October, 28, 2010 AT 8:17 PM

Next time it fail to start for you check cluster lights checking if security light on and or blinking as you trying to start and if so suspect ignition switch, and try to reprogram the key by leaving it in on position for about 15 min and try to start

if not check fuel pressure

jonmil

October, 28, 2010 AT 8:58 PM

[quote=" BMRFIXIT" ]Next time it fail to start for you check cluster lights checking if security light on and or blinking as you trying to start and if so suspect ignition switch, and try to reprogram the key by leaving it in on position for about 15 min and try to start

if not check fuel pressure

Are the cluster lights the various trouble lights which stay on for a few seconds [self testing?] After the car starts? I do have a diagnostic tester. Would it be helpful to plug in when this problem presents itself again.

BMRFIXIT

October, 28, 2010 AT 9:14 PM

When 1st key on security light should come on and then go off if all OK
you are looking for a security light
checking for code not a bad idea
if have a scanner check for IP codes
if have an OBDII that get only the p codes

stevepatton1

July, 11, 2011 AT 11:35 AM

This is exactly the same preoblem I have 2003 Buick century 75,000 miles. What was the fix that worked?

rivermikerat

October, 7, 2011 AT 10:46 PM

What's the fuel pressure like when the problem occurs?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe