BMW 2003 330 XI POPPING/THUMPING

• DrJon1
  • 2003 BMW 330
  • AWD
  • manual

BMW 330Xi 2003. LOUD thumping/popping intermittently from back deck beyond rear seats near speakers even when sound system is OFF. Nothing visible from trunk

Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 4:27 PM

• Dr. Hagerty

Noise from the area you refer to could be 1) The center support bearing rubber isolation has degraded and the driveshaft should be inspected for same and repaired/replaced straightaway. 2) A subframe/differential rubber isolation mount failure. 3) Bad rear shock mounts. I strongly recommend you seek out someone to put the car up in the air on a lift and inspect it for the unsafe issues that I have just presented, you might want to tow it to your BMW service provider to accomplish the inspection, be safe, do not take chances.

Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 5:34 PM
  • DrJon1

Thank you for the info. I think it sounds more like a sharp electrical popping than frame /differential/shocks. But I will see my repair guy ASAP.
Again thank you.

Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 5:38 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

My response may be a little over the top, but you can agree I'm sure, that noise can be different things to different people. Cyberspace has it's limitations.

Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 5:43 PM
  • DrJon1

Dr Hagerty,
Thank you again

Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 5:44 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

You are very welcome.

Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 6:09 PM