NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE KIND OF QUESTION YOU ...

2003 Acura RSX

carlkasindi

November, 23, 2012 AT 11:30 PM

Not sure if this is the kind of question you guys normally take but I'm not sure where else to go. I've been looking to buy an RSX from a private seller in my area for some time now and have recently found one I'm interested in but it has some issues. I'm not sure whether this is a good deal or a future giant headache. Is the amount I'm gonna save be worth it? KBB value is $6,700 in good condition and $5,760 in fair condition. I offered $4,800-$5,000 depending on how an inspection goes and they accepted. However, I'm not totally sure I would even want to pay for an inspection before getting advice because of all the issues. The major things wrong with it is: there is a slight valve tick when the engine is cold, timing chain and water pump have not been replaced yet, and shocks are at the end of their life. There are also a lot of other smaller things wrong with it that I don't necessarily need to fix immediately and that I can live with.

Are these easy things to take care of or would I be in over my head? Should I even have it professionally inspected or would that be a waste? Help! Thanks! : )

homer1967

November, 24, 2012 AT 12:31 AM

Absolutely pay to have a pro go over it. Better to spend a little now, than a lot later.

carlkasindi

November, 24, 2012 AT 12:34 PM

Perhaps I didn't make my question clear, I apologize. No matter what car I try to buy I'm going to have an inspection done no matter what, no two ways about it. My question was: is paying to inspect this car a waste of money? If I can see from the get go that it will be too expensive to fix this car then I don't want to waste $200 paying a mechanic to look at it only to have him tell me what I could have gathered on my own.

homer1967

November, 24, 2012 AT 1:03 PM

Yeah, you could be right. I think that's a question that only you can answer

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz