INTERMITTENT EXTENDED CRANK, REDUCED ENGINE PERFOMANCE MESSAGE

2002 Volvo XC70

captain volvo

February, 3, 2012 AT 3:09 AM

I am working on a volvo that will intermittently have an extended crank before starting. The problem seems to be at it's worst when cold. When the problem occurs I will get a "reduced engine performance" message. Once the engine starts, it runs fine. I have checked fuel pressure and it is within specs and it always comes up even when the problem happens.I have checked for codes and there are none. The problem is getting worse and yesterday, the owner tried to start the car and after an extended cranking session the car started but shut off after the key was released. This occured two times before she gave up.I have not experienced this. I did have my scanner hooked up to the car to check for an rpm signal while the problem happened and it would sometimes show no signal, show a communication error, or show an rpm signal after the engine started. My scanner does not have the european software installed, so I have to use global obd II to access the computer. The battery is new, spark plugs and filters are new, and two coils have been replaced to correct misfire codes. I am at a loss of what to do next.

rivermikerat

February, 3, 2012 AT 3:11 AM

You need to check it for soft codes and live data. There is a code being set each time the "Reduced Power" message is flashed.

captain volvo

February, 3, 2012 AT 3:19 AM

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow

rivermikerat

February, 3, 2012 AT 4:29 AM

Let us know what you find.

JIS001

February, 3, 2012 AT 5:39 AM

With the reduce engine performance message on you should have codes stored. But if this issue is only when it has sat overnight then you should also look at the fuel pump for a leak. Remove the rear bench to access the fuel pump cover on the passenger side. If you see fuel on top of the pump, then depending on which State you live in, there could be a 10 year 150K mile warranty on the pump. There was a recall for the fuel pump also. Recall 220 I believe. Run the VIN # here to see if one was issue

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

If no recall was issue then call Volvo about the fuel pump extended warranty. Good luck to you and let us know what you find.

captain volvo

February, 4, 2012 AT 5:32 PM

Could not get any codes to show up when "reduced engine power" message was present. I wiil look for fuel on top of the pump

captain volvo

February, 7, 2012 AT 4:23 AM

Checked the top of the fuel pump module and no fuel or wetness was present. One other thing I forgot to mention was; when I was checking the fuel pressure, I noticed the guage needle would swing back and forth quite a bit while cranking the engine over. Is this normal for this car?

rivermikerat

February, 7, 2012 AT 4:41 AM

It can fluctuate, but it shouldn't swing wildly.

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement