COOLING FAN WILL NOT SHUT OFF EVEN WHEN CAR IS TURNED OFF AND AC NOT BLOWING COLD

2002 Volvo XC70

michgrad85

September, 17, 2011 AT 4:01 PM

I think the problems may be related. My A/C stopped blowing cold although the drivers side was cooler than the passengers. Then I noticed the cooling fan running after the car was turned off for a few minutes. But now it will not turn off at all. I disconnected the battery and when I reconnected it the cooling system will not turn on at all but the fan still will not shut off. I am thinking there may be a problem with a sensor and I was hoping to not have to replace the whole fan assembly. Any ideas?

DrCranknWrench

September, 17, 2011 AT 5:14 PM

The fan assembly will be ok. The sensor is separate and usually not too expensive. The worst thing it could be is a PCU called a Fan Mode Control Unit. This works with parameters from the ECU, Engine temp, A/C, Oil temp and a few other things. It is also in control of turning off the cooling fan within a certain amount of time after the car is turned off.
Get a trouble code reading at a dealership or service station and it will come back with the failure code for the part causing the issue.
I hope this helps and let me know how it turns out.

JIS001

September, 17, 2011 AT 11:15 PM

I had a question for you? Did you mean the cooling fan as in the radiator fan? Or the blower motor inside the vehicle? For the A/C not cooling, the symptom you explained by one side being cooler then the other indiscates you are low on freon. Most likely from a leaking A/C condensor. If your blower motor is what is staying running then the transistor has failed. Good luck to you ahd keep us posted please.

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic