TRYING TO REPLACE CLUTCH OR THROWOUT BEARING

2002 Volkswagen GTI

en3ty1

January, 14, 2012 AT 2:24 AM

I recently messed up my friends car and I am trying to find out what is wrong first and then how to fix it. I burned his clutch really bad and his car has a hard time in reverse more than any thing. He says it is leaking some sort of fluid he thinks clutc fluid and it drive like **** compared to what it did. It is a 2002 VW GTI 1.8t and stage 2 clutch. When I was driving it I smelt the clutch burning after I shifted from first to second gear and then soon after it stopped grabbbing gears so I coasted. After 20 minutes of cooling it was getting into gear again but never the same. Any ideas on what it could be and how hard to replace? Any answers would help alott.

thanks, Brent

fixitmr

January, 14, 2012 AT 5:48 AM

It actually sounds like trans is low on gear fluid.

fixitmr

January, 14, 2012 AT 5:53 AM

Also maybe clutch disc is shot.

jacksprat

Check if the clutch is slipping, if it is you have to remove the gearbox and replace it. If its not slipping and you are only having gear selection difficulty, check all the selector cables or try bleeding it from the slave cylinder.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions