A/C COMPRESSOR WILL NOT ENGAGE

2002 Volkswagen GTI

bdrew

July, 23, 2012 AT 11:46 AM

Ice cold in the morning and it just stopped working. I put gages on it and there is no leak, it is still full pressure. I checked fues in cab and on top of battery and they are fine (3 in cab, 3-30 amps on top and one forty). I push in the ac switch and both fans come on as they are suppost to. Compressor clutch is not locked up. I was wondering if it might be the fan control module, I know that tells the compressor to come on, but if that was bad would the fans still come on with ac button on in
side of cab? My coolant was a little low the day it happened my light came on so I topped it off. When I do push in the ac button the car will idle up then down over and over till I turn ac button off. Also I was wondering if my fan control module has a fuse on it somewhere I know some of them have a 20amp and 7.5 amp. I can't see mine with it being under the battery. Thanks for any help! Ben : )

July, 23, 2012 AT 12:21 PM

Since fan comes on when A/C is turned on, it indicates the fuses are good.
Test the power supply to the compressor. It could be a failed clutch or relay.

bdrew

July, 23, 2012 AT 1:17 PM

Compressor comes on if I jump it, only relay I know of on the gti is the fan control module Its supposed to turn fans on and ac compressor. Do you know of another? It is also the vr6 24v motor. Thx

July, 23, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

You are correct. There is no other relays except the Coolant Fan Control Module.

Have you tried to check for trouble codes?
Is your system Automatic or Manual HVAC?

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz