AIRBAG "CANCEL RING"

2002 Volkswagen Eurovan

VWEurovanman

April, 29, 2011 AT 8:25 PM

VW Erovan Airbag light is on. I took it to the dealer and they said I need a $650 cancel ring? Is there such a thing? What is it? Is there anyway to disable the light? I would rather just not have the airbag than put another $800 (with labor) into this vehicle.

Driver Airbag

Mustan Air Bags

1 ANSWER

caradiodoc

April, 29, 2011 AT 8:48 PM

They're most likely referring to what is known as a "clock spring". That is a wound up ribbon cable in a plastic housing under the steering wheel. As it continues to break, eventually the other circuits going through it will be affected too. That could include the horn and cruise control.

We all know Volkswagen and GM have many extremely customer-unfriendly business practices, but they must be especially proud of that part. The clock springs for Chryslers and Fords run between $100.00 and $150.00, and they take about a half hour to replace.

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 1:30 AM

That's roundabout the same labor for any clock spring. They are trying to hose you. The price of the part may be correct. My 96 tdi needed 1 and it was $493 or so. Found it in a wrecking yard for $20 still no problems.