I HAVE TO CHANGE MY TRANSMISSION FLUID ON MY ...

2002 Volkswagen Cabriolet

jsdorn

February, 17, 2013 AT 4:17 AM

I have to change my Transmission fluid on my 2002 Cabrio because I had to remove the transmission pan when I replaced the control arm.I bought Castrol Transmax High Mileage transmission Fluid. What is the best way to fill the Transmission and can I use the Castrol that I have or do I have to get other Transmission fluid. It is an type ATF fluid but it does not say on the container the word VW. Advance auto says this can be used. Does any VW mechanic know for sure

exovcds

February, 17, 2013 AT 5:56 AM

VW fluid. Next time loosen the transmission bolts and raise the tranny, or loosen the sub frame and drop it a bit.

Thomas

jsdorn

February, 17, 2013 AT 2:05 PM

I replaced the control arm and I had to removethe transmission pan to do it.M yquestion was not about the control arm.I was asking if it was ok to use the Castrol transmax high mlleage transmission fluid it is a type ATF but does not metion Volkswagen on the bottle but says its for many foreign cars with 75,000 miles. Advance auto says its ok I just want a second opinion.

exovcds

February, 17, 2013 AT 4:20 PM

My answer was vw fluid.

You need to check the fluid between an atf temperature of 35 & 45c.

The level plug is at the back of the pan. 5mm allen. Fluid is added at the small tube at the front (should have a red security seal around it).

Level is checked while engine is at idle and in park.

Thomas

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage