CAR HESITATING AND STALLING AT 3000-3500 RPM

2002 Vauxhall Astra

Rob906

My Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SXi 52 reg hesitates and****** when RPM are over 3000, irrelevent of speed. This is mainly when motorway driving, the car will***** but not backfire and if I lift of the gas for example when coming off a junction the car will***** violently and if revs drop as in when gear down changes it will stall, no warning lights are on until engine stalls.
I have changed the spark plugs and garage have looked at it but without a warning light they are unsure of problem. I have had 2 EGR valve changes in past and it does not seem like that as hesitation is only when RPM hits 3000-3500 rather than constant. Cambelt was changed with waterpump in August 2011 and I have had new rear and middle exhaust replaced in October 2011. This happens whether engine is cold or at running temp. Help appreciated.

rivermikerat

January, 22, 2012 AT 12:30 AM

Where is the redline for that engine? Have it scanned for codes.

Rob906

The redline is 6000. I am thinking of getting it plugged in for diagnostic but wanted a heads up on probable issue. Thanks

rivermikerat

January, 23, 2012 AT 5:45 AM

It could be a throttle position sensor or a idle air control valve.

Rob906

February, 1, 2012 AT 4:34 PM

Just an update, I had a diagnostic and it was found to be the EGR valve sticking open so when I deaccelarate the engine stalled. Mechanic attempted repairing the valve but it wouldn't have anything to do with it so replaced it. Tested it last night and seems to be running fine.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma