COST TO REPLACE THE CAT AND LAMBDA SENSOR?

2002 Toyota Yaris

lengranger

March, 24, 2012 AT 2:20 PM

2002 Toyota Yaris failed MOT. Fast Idle test reached 2220rpm with a minimum of 2500. The garage want to replace lambda sensor and the CAT but is there anything such as air filter and sparks I could try first?

I was thinking in my limited knowledge. Would changing the spark plugs and air filter make any difference rather than the $$$$$ it will cost to replace the CAT and Lambda sensor?

March, 24, 2012 AT 3:47 PM

If a component fails, you cannot make any substitution for it.

Do you have any trouble codes?

What were the parameters that faild MOT?

lengranger

March, 26, 2012 AT 8:31 AM

Sorry for the delay. I took the car to KWIKFIT this morning. I have used them loads with company cars for tyres and brakes and they have always been honest.
The MOT Fail was on RPM for fast idle test however, on the results page they have told me it was the hydrocarbon fail. Either way they wanted to change the oxygen sensor and the cat. Im waiting for a second opinion from Kwikfit, if they come to the same results then fine.

March, 26, 2012 AT 12:18 PM

Fast idle test for hydrocarbon failed so it could be the O2 sensor or cat converter. If replacement is required, start with only the O2 sensor and retest.

Getting the vehicle on a scan tool to get the live data should be more accurate.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast