4X4 MY TRUCKS RPM'S HAVE NOT BEEN CONSISTENT

2002 Toyota Pickup

2CarPros-Archives

October, 14, 2010 AT 8:50 PM

2002 Toyota 4x4 truck mileage: 79,000. For the past two-three months my trucks rpm's have not been consistent. It fluctuated even when I did not accelerate the engine. In the past two weeks, it has been getting worse. The climax was a few days ago when I got onto the freeway and experienced a craze with the rpm’s as I changed gears. Ultimately, I was stranded on the side of the freeway. I changed the clutch as my mechanic advised and it has gained a kick when I shift gears. The rpm's still fluctuate slightly on neutral, first or second gears. Once I get going it is not a problem. Obviously, the clutch was not the source of that problem. I am assuming it may be the fuel pump or filter. What do you think the problem could be?

2CarPros-Archives

October, 14, 2010 AT 8:54 PM

Your car may be ready for a major tune-up including spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter and air filter. Also, perform a fuel pump pressure test. Clean fuel injection system including throttle bore, idle speed control motor and passages. If problem still exists, scan computer for trouble codes.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars