MY CAR IDLES AT 1600 RPMS WHEN I FIRST START IT ...

2002 Toyota Corolla

Anonymous

December, 26, 2012 AT 12:22 AM

My car idles at 1600 rpms when I first start it up in cold weather. Then slowly comes down to 1200. I let it run the other day for 45 minutes and it was still idling at 1200 rpms. Even if I drive a couple of miles when I stop it will still be at 1200. If I drive a distance the idling will eventually come down to about 7 to 8 rpm. So I am thinking no matter how long I leave it run it will stay at 1200. It is very cold here right now like below 0 but even at 20 above it will do the same. I am getting terrible gas mileage especially city driving. Sometimes I am down under 20 mpg. Also when it is cold it will stay at 1600 rpm for at least 6 to 7 minutes. Sometimes I get 32 to 33 on the highway but an average would be 27 to 28. The sticker says 31 to 39. I have never gotten close to 39 on the highway. Changes plugs and cleaned maf sensor. I bought the car with 103000 miles and expected to continuously get between 30 to 40 mpg but am not. Please advise on what to do to make this better. I also have poured in several containers of cleaner in the gas. I even filled up with a tank of premium and only got 28 mpg average. I was advised to do this from a mechanic to see what a difference it would make compared to the winter blend that we use here right now. Not much difference. Thanks and will be waiting for your reply. Corbett Severson

December, 26, 2012 AT 12:35 AM

Premium will not make any difference.

When was the timing belt changed? Timing has a big effect on efficiency.

Driving habits are key to mileage. Idle time is too long from your description to get the max mileage.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram