I HAVE OWNED MY 2002 CAMRY SINCE NEW AND 70 OF ...

• Ftmyerscamry
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY

I have owned my 2002 Camry since new and 70% of driving has been at highway speeds. Car manual never mentions changing AT fluid/filter unless under severe driving conditions. On the ATF dip stick it even says, "Do not change unless driving under sever conditions." I have no problems with the transmission and the fluid is red and does not smell burnt. I say it is red unless you compare it to some new ATF fluid that I have for my GMC. I know this is not the fluid Toyota calls for, but I assume the Toyota brand is very similar in color. Fluid color side by side the Camry's is a little darker, but it is 10yrs old and 127K miles on it. My question is, should I have the transmission fluid and filter changed? I have always heard that changing trans. Fluid with this many miles on it can now loosen up gunk and may now cause problems. What is your advice? I don't have any problems with the transmission now.

Thank you,
Tom

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 2:45 PM

• KHLow2008

Changing fluids does not loosen up gunks, it is only forced flushing that causes it.

Since fluids are still in good condition, you have the option of replacing or not. I believe a drain and fill should suffice under such conditions.

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 3:19 PM
  • Ftmyerscamry

Thanks for your answer. When you say drain and fill, do you mean drain the 3 qt out and fill or drain, drop the pan and change filter (which it has) and drain the rest in the torque conv. And radiator.

Thanks,
Tom

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 11:24 PM
  • KHLow2008

Drain the 3 qts and refill. It is best to leave the filter and oil pan alone. Btw the torque converter cannot be drained by conventional ways. After drain plug is removed, start engine for a few seconds to drain whatever you can and you should be good to go.

Sunday, October 21st, 2012 AT 4:14 AM