THE CAR RAN FINE BUT THE TIMING CHAIN WAS MAKING...

2002 Saturn L200

Anonymous

April, 8, 2013 AT 1:50 AM

The car ran fine but the timing chain was making a knocking sound from too much slack. So I replaced the timing chain. Now it runs rough and shows P0301 misfire cyl 1. I checked compression and it has zero compression on cyl 1. I didn't find any coolant in oil. Any help would be a big help.

saturntech9

April, 8, 2013 AT 4:01 AM

How did it run before you replaced the timing chain?Was everything timed correctly when replacing the timing chain?

chrisbad89m

April, 8, 2013 AT 11:32 AM

It ran fine before. I even tore it all back down and redid the timing to make sure it was right.

saturntech9

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:01 PM

Sounds like a valve issue if its timed correctly doesn't make sense that it ran fine before unless it bent some valves before the chain replacement. I have never had that happen to me from just replacing chain on those cars.

chrisbad89m

April, 8, 2013 AT 10:02 PM

I took the valve cover off and cranked the motor over. All the valves seemed to be moving normally.

saturntech9

April, 9, 2013 AT 3:03 AM

You can use a cylinder leak down tester to see where the compression is going.

Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour