The car ran fine but the timing chain was making.

ANONYMOUS
  • 2002 SATURN L200
The car ran fine but the timing chain was making a knocking sound from too much slack. So I replaced the timing chain. Now it runs rough and shows P0301 misfire cyl 1. I checked compression and it has zero compression on cyl 1. I didn't find any coolant in oil. Any help would be a big help.
Monday, April 8th, 2013 AT 1:50 AM

SATURNTECH9
How did it run before you replaced the timing chain?Was everything timed correctly when replacing the timing chain?
Monday, April 8th, 2013 AT 4:01 AM
CHRISBAD89M
It ran fine before. I even tore it all back down and redid the timing to make sure it was right.
Monday, April 8th, 2013 AT 11:32 AM
SATURNTECH9
Sounds like a valve issue if its timed correctly doesn't make sense that it ran fine before unless it bent some valves before the chain replacement. I have never had that happen to me from just replacing chain on those cars.
Monday, April 8th, 2013 AT 2:01 PM
CHRISBAD89M
I took the valve cover off and cranked the motor over. All the valves seemed to be moving normally.
Monday, April 8th, 2013 AT 10:02 PM
SATURNTECH9
You can use a cylinder leak down tester to see where the compression is going.
Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 AT 3:03 AM