Megane convertible wire came off need to know where it goes

BOGRATT
  • 2002 RENAULT MEGANE

Hi - a wire came off in the hood compartment on my 2002 Renault Clio 1.6 16v Privelege and I have no idea where it goes - anyone have any idea where it goes? It looks like a pressure switch of some sort which probably registers when the cover closes. Thanks in advance! Picture attached

Saturday, March 3rd, 2012 AT 12:34 AM

FIXITMR

Is it a microswitch? Looks like it. Is there any malfunction with top?

Saturday, March 3rd, 2012 AT 2:55 AM
FIXITMR

Is it like on 1 side and there may be identical unit on other side?

Saturday, March 3rd, 2012 AT 7:53 AM
BOGRATT

Hi - yes it is a micro switch and is only on 1 side. Therr is no wire like that on other side of car. The roof does not work anymore

Saturday, March 3rd, 2012 AT 12:44 PM
BOGRATT

Any luck with this?

Tuesday, March 6th, 2012 AT 5:50 PM
FIXITMR

Not so far. Was the top working ok before? Have you tried closing switch and operating top?

Tuesday, March 6th, 2012 AT 7:54 PM
BOGRATT

Yes it still does not work but that may be unrelated a it was broken before this wire came off. I was trying to reset the roof when I noticed the wire had been bumped off. All I need to know if where the wire goes - where it is meant to be attached to

Tuesday, March 6th, 2012 AT 8:20 PM
FIXITMR

You may have to find another similar vehicle to compare.

Tuesday, March 6th, 2012 AT 10:19 PM
FIXITMR

And actually that wire looks long enough to reach up into roof assembly?

Tuesday, March 6th, 2012 AT 10:27 PM
BOGRATT

I do not think it goes onto the roof assembly - it must be connected close to back near where the metal cover closes. It definately runs back towards the back of car

Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 AT 12:00 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Is this in the front engine compartment area, or the rear, trunk/boot area where this wire and switch were found? That switch is a limit switch, a type of switch used to shut off power to a motor when a moving unit has reached a specific point, such as a sliding seat belt or a convertible top.

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 1:34 AM
BOGRATT

Hi Rivermikerat. This wire is in the roof compartment - where the roof folds into when it goes down so obviously is to turn the roof mechanism off when it has reached a specific point, or let it know that the roof is all the way down I presume.

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 12:53 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Yes. What you will need to do is look for a small bracket or mounting point along the top and bottom of the compartment. Look around the edges. Also look for a small hole where the clips in the middle of the lead can be secured. That should help get you closer to a location for it.

Does anything look broken on the switch?

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 5:36 PM
BOGRATT

Thanks - I have searched up and down and just cannot find anywhere that it could have gone. Driving me crazy :)

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 5:56 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

It's not a car our reference lists, which makes it that much harder for us. And there isn't even a Renault that we can compare it to in our reference.

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 6:16 PM